A1 Journal article – refereed
Systematic Screening of Adverse Reactions to Metal Debris after Recap-M2A-Magnum Metal-on-Metal Total Hip Arthroplasty




List of Authors: Mäntymäki H, Junnila M, Lankinen P, Seppänen M, Vahlberg T, Mäkelä KT
Publisher: SAGE PUBLICATIONS LTD
Publication year: 2017
Journal: Scandinavian Journal of Surgery
Journal name in source: SCANDINAVIAN JOURNAL OF SURGERY
Journal acronym: SCAND J SURG
Volume number: 106
Issue number: 4
Number of pages: 8
ISSN: 1457-4969
eISSN: 1799-7267

Abstract
Background and Aims: An adverse reaction to metal debris is a known complication after large diameter head metal-on-metal total hip arthroplasty. However, the failure rate varies depending on the implant design. Therefore, we investigated the prevalence of adverse reaction to metal debris, as well as the symptoms and risk factors after undergoing a ReCap-M2a-Magnum large diameter head metal-on-metal total hip arthroplasty.Materials and Methods: Between 2005 and 2012, 1188 patients (1329 hips) underwent ReCap-M2a-Magnum total hip arthroplasty at our institution. Systematic screening for adverse reaction to metal debris was arranged using the Oxford Hip Score questionnaire, hip and pelvic radiographs, and assessments of the serum chromium and cobalt ion levels. Clinical evaluation and magnetic resonance imaging were performed for the symptomatic patients, as well as those with either chromium or cobalt ion levels 5 mu g/L. The prevalence of adverse reaction to metal debris after ReCap-M2a-Magnum total hip arthroplasty was assessed, and the risk factors for adverse reaction to metal debris were evaluated using logistic regression. The mean follow-up time was 5.2 (0.003-9.1) years. This study was an extension of a previous study conducted at our institution with 80 patients.Results: In total, 33 patients (33 hips, 2.5% of all hips) required a revision operation due to adverse reaction to metal debris. Moreover, 157 hips exhibited definitive adverse reaction to metal debris, but a revision operation was not performed (157 of 1329 hips, 11.8% of all hips). Overall, 190 out of 1329 (14.3%) hips had definitive adverse reaction to metal debris. Pain, subluxation sensation, clicking, swelling, a small head size, and a fair/poor Oxford Hip Score were associated with definitive adverse reaction to metal debris.Conclusion: We found a high prevalence of adverse reaction to metal debris in the ReCap-M2a-Magnum total hip arthroplasty patients in this study; however, most of the patients did not require revision operations.

Last updated on 2019-21-08 at 20:04